What are 19+ Advanced Learner Loans?
If you are over 19 and want to improve your career options, but don’t have the money to do so, no problem.
You can now study and pay no upfront tuition by simply getting a government loan called the Advanced Learner Loan.
The loan is very easy to apply for, it doesn’t involve any credit check and it doesn’t take your household income into account. It will pay for your college course at Level 3, 4, 5 and 6 (eg A Levels or graduate certificate).
You only start to pay back the loan once you’ve finished your course and you’re earning over £21,000. Until then you don’t need to pay back anything, but you can make voluntary repayments at any time.
How do I know if I am eligible for a loan
- To get a loan you must be:
- 19 or older on the first day of your course (there’s no upper age limit)
- Living in the UK on the first day of your course, and have lived in the UK, EU, the Channel islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years immediately before this
- Taking an eligible course
- Studying at a college or training organisation in England approved for public funding
Getting a loan doesn’t depend on your household income and there’s no credit check.
How do I pay back the loan?
You pay back your loan (plus interest) when you finish your course and earn more than £21,000 a year. Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £21,000 a year.
Until then you don’t need to pay back anything, but you can make voluntary repayments at any time.
Repayments start the April following the completion of your course. Your annual repayment amount will be 9% of any income you earn over £21,000.
Your monthly repayments would be:
- £7 a month – if you earned £22,000 a year
- £30 a month – if you earned £25,000 a year
How to apply:
- Check with us that the course you are interested in qualifies.
- Ask us for a ‘Learning and funding information’ letter – you need this to complete the application. It contains the details about your course.
- Apply online – you’ll need to register first. You can apply by post if you can’t apply online.
- You’ll get a letter confirming your loan – usually within 2 weeks if you apply online (postal applications take longer).
You can apply for a loan without a National Insurance number but you must have one before the loan can be paid.
If you have any questions, please email us to email@example.com